What Is Spousal Maintenance?

What Is Spousal Maintenance?

Filing for divorce means your life will change in many ways. One of the biggest impacts for many couples is the financial strain of going from a two-income household to a single-income household.

However, the stress of a divorce does not stop there. You also have to consider elements like spousal support.

For example, if you were not the “high earner” in the relationship, you may wonder if you can qualify for this to help supplement your income. Understanding how spousal support works in Florida can help you better understand this matter.

If you have more questions, please reach out to my office at Griffin Family Law, PLLC. I am a Jacksonville divorce lawyer who has served individuals in and around this area for several decades.

Some information to keep in mind about spousal support and how it works in Florida divorces can be found here.

Not All Divorces Include Spousal Support Orders

The court will usually only order one spouse to pay spousal support if the other shows a true need for it.

An example would be if the individual stopped working to remain at home and care for their children. In this case, the court may determine that this spouse should receive spousal support. This is particularly true if they have never developed other skills, are older, or have remained a stay-at-home parent for an extended amount of time.

On the other hand, if both individuals work throughout the marriage and their salaries are similar, the court will likely find that neither requires spousal support.

Call my office if you are unsure if your case may qualify for spousal support. I can review your case and help you determine the likelihood of this being awarded.

Spousal Support May be Temporary

Spousal support is typically awarded in cases where a stay-at-home parent stopped working and pursuing a career for their family. However, there are situations where these payments can be temporary.

Sometimes, spousal support payments will end when the divorce is finalized or once the spouse receiving support meets some condition, such as getting remarried, completing career retraining, or selling the family home.

It Is Possible to Have Spousal Support Modified

There are situations where spousal support cannot be modified. However, there are other cases where modifications can occur under some circumstances. An example is rehabilitative support. It is possible to have this modified if the spouse finishes their rehabilitative plan early or does not comply with the outlined plan.

If one spouse dies, remarries, or cohabitates with a new partner in a supportive relationship, then spousal support may be modified, too.

The Length of the Marriage Matters

The time the marriage lasts will impact how much spousal support is awarded. In the state of Florida, marriages usually have to last for a minimum of seven years. While this is true, there are situations where spousal support is granted for marriages that last fewer than seven years, but this depends on the circumstances. In either case, there has to be evidence that justifies the payment of spousal support, regardless of the length of the marriage in question.

I Can Help with Your Spousal Support Questions

As mentioned above, not all divorces result in spousal support being awarded. However, if you believe you should receive this or you should not have to pay spousal support, I can help.

I can review the facts of your case and gather evidence to show your perspective. I can also help you understand if the spousal support requirements are reasonable for your situation.

Regardless of your situation, I will be happy to answer any questions you have to ensure you are aware of your rights and options. I have provided individuals, like you, with experienced legal representation in the Neptune Beach area, and I would love to speak to you about your situation and needs.

Read More

Can You Get a Divorce Without the Other Person Signing?

How Long Does a Divorce Take if One Party Does Not Agree?

We Can Help

SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION – Call (904) 372-9708 or fill out the form to schedule your free initial consultation to learn more about how we can help and to discuss your options with an experienced lawyer.